Thursday, April 23, 2009

Life on the back of a scooter in Brasilito

Last weekend me and three friends decided to go to Guanacaste for the weekend which is a region of Costa Rica that is supposed to have some of the best beaches...We picked the beach Brasilito to get to but that was the extent of the planning...however things worked out great! Got to Brasilito and found basically the only hostel/hotel and got one room for about 15 dollars a night per person. Headed down to the beach that was right off the hotel property. My one friend decided to splurg on a scooter/moped for the weekend so we could check out the other beaches in the area and have fun driving around...I called dibs on the first ride and didnt really get off the rest of the weekend, we drove around and it was so cool to see the countryside up close, he also taught me how to drive and after a few tries I got the hang out if it and went on a few little adventours on my own...It was an awsome feeling driving it and really would love to get my motorcycle liscnece one day. Back at the beach saw a guy driving some horses down the beach so we ran up to him and talked down the price of horse riding a bit for that evening. We told him we all could ride and would like to run on the horses he said we could "un pocito"....un pocito actually meant basically galloping full speed down the beaches and streets almost the whole time! I have never been that fast on a horse, and definatly the first time I have had to hold a horse back they all loved to run and race each other! It was incredible to run across the beach with no poeple and just me and my two friends and our guide. Got to see the sunset, some cool birds and monkeys to. Had one collision with my friends horse that got spooked but por dicha stayed on haha but it was the crazyest funnest ride ive ever had. Got back quite exaughsted but had relaxing night just hanging out on the beach playing with the local dogs and talking. Next day went to playa conchal which is a beach of crushed seashells for sand, it was so preety every handful of shells was filled with colors and different shapes and sizes of shells and it felt great on your feet and made the ocean water very clear. I had brought my snorkling gear and there was a great little cove to see fish really up close I saw a cute little eel and an octupus! Hanged out in the calm water and played lazy log with my friend where you jsut let the wave bring you back and forth to the shore...later we hopped on the scooter in our suits to go to another beach Playa Grande...about a half hour ride through the mountain and coozing Petunia (the scooter) up the hills we made it to the beach...one of the longest beaches ive seen without a lot of development and the waves were huuuge! Tried to catch some waves but was preety rough so we headed back. Got a very yummy dinner and had to get my last scooter ride in that night...it was really cool to see all the stars and we turned the lights off on and stopped in the road since there was no cars to see the stars....ahh it was a great weekend proboly my favorite weekend trip thus far. After a fast week at school I am leaving again this weekend to a reserve where we are goign to volunteer helping with sea turtles! More soon!

1 comment:

  1. Laina this weekend sounds amazing! the snorkeling and seashell beach sound awesome and i love how u named the scooter! i want to hear more about volunteering with sea turtles, that's so cool!
    Your trip with your dad seems awesome too, i'm so jealous that u snorkelled and scuba-ed every day, and the hotels sounds soo nice. hope things keep going well!

    ReplyDelete